Saturday, April 16, 2011

Expo Day

Today William and I went to the Boston Marathon Expo. Our first order of business was to head up to the main expo floor and get my bib and packet. On the way there, we bumped into Rick Hoyt on the elevators. Sometimes it's funny who you meet on the elevator. Of course, William's primary interest was THE elevator. Those of you who know William will know what I mean by that. We grabbed my number and race packet. That process was smooth and easy which was the opposite of the expo. That was a bit of a mob scene. No worries, we made the most of it and checked out products and food. William and I ate a lunch worth of samples and drinks.

Our final stop at the expo was the New York Road Runners booth to say "hi" to Anne's high school friend Sean Haubert, their man in charge of Social Media. William was a good sport as we chatted a bit. I'll be running their big race, the New York City Marathon, in November and I'm already looking forward to it.

The whole time we were chatting with Sean, Bill Rodgers was right next to us. I tried to explain to William how many times Bill won the Boston Marathon but he just isn't the kind of kid to be star struck.

No trip to Back Bay would be complete without a visit to Mecca (a.k.a. the Apple store) so that's where we went next. William enjoyed checking out shiny new tech and for the Nth time reminded me just how much he likes the new MacBook Air (the 11 inch one)!

Finally we headed back to our car via a closed Boylston and across the finish line. I took special notice of the gentle downhill along that stretch of Boylston. No doubt I'll appreciate it Monday.

3 comments:

Rosie said...

Bill Rogers is one of the elite runners who has a statue in Dave3nport IA and has won the Bix7. Now that is a hilly course.

MMV said...

Hi Chris- Is "running for my sons" affiliated to MDA? I will be running the NYC Marathon. My godson has Duchenne and I wanted to run for charity and dedicate this race to him. Good Luck tomorrow.

Chris said...

Maria,

Run For Our Sons (RFOS) is a program by Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy (PPMD) to assist in fundraising and awareness for Duchenne muscular dystrophy research.

Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy is the largest nonprofit organization in the United States focused entirely on Duchenne.

I hope you consider joining us. If you are registered already via your own guaranteed entry, like I am, you can still join the team. Let me know if I can direct you to someone who can give you more info.

Below are a couple links so you can learn more.

PPMD: http://www.parentprojectmd.org

RFOS: http://www.parentprojectmd.org/site/PageNavigator/A_Marathon_Home

Post a Comment